Han Gao received his PhD degree in Marine Pharmacology from Zhejiang University under supervising of associate professor Mengmeng Tong. During his doctoral study (2015~2019), he contributed to several projects focusing on the harmful algae blooms (HABs), algal-bacteria interactions, mixotrophy, eutrophication and marine phycotoxins. He spent some time as a visiting scholar in Juliette L. Smith’s lab, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, College of William and Mary (Virginia, US) where he continued his microalgae study and received cutting-edge training in analytical chemistry (LC-MS/MS) for phycotoxins.
More than six-years’ research experience strengthened his passion for aquatic microbial world. He joined the Environmental Microbiome & Biotechnology Lab in Westlake University as a postdoc research fellow in March 2020. His current research interests focus on cyanobacterial blooms in freshwater, applying multi-omics techniques to investigate microbial community associated with biosynthesis and biodegradation of freshwater cyanotoxins.
1. Jia, Y., Gao, H., Tong, M., Donald, A. (2019). Cell cycle regulation of the mixotrophic dinoflagellate Dinophysis acuminata: growth, photosynthetic efficiency and toxin production. Harmful Algae, 89, 101672.
2. Gao, H., Tong, M., An, X., & Smith, J. L. (2019). Prey Lysate Enhances Growth and Toxin Production in an Isolate of Dinophysis acuminata. Toxins, 11(1), 57.
3. Gao, H., You, S., Lei, X., Xiao, Y., Gu, H., & Tong, M. (2019). The impact of biotic and abiotic factors on the distribution of surface sediment dinoflagellate cyst assemblages on the Nanji Island in the East China Sea. Acta Oceanologica Sinica, 38(1), 160-171.
4. Gao, H., Hua, C. F., & Tong, M. (2018). Impact of Dinophysis acuminata feeding Mesodinium rubrum on nutrient dynamics and bacterial composition in a microcosm. Toxins, 10(11), 443.
5. Gao, H., Tong, M. M., Liu, L., An, X. L. (2017). Characterization of D. acuminata from the Yellow Sea, China, and its response to temperature and different Mesodinium prey. Oceanological and Hydrobiological Studies. 2017, 46(4): 439-450.
6. Yang, J., Gao, H., Glibert, P. M., Wang, Y. (2017). Rates of nitrogen uptake by cyanobacterially-dominated assemblages in Lake Taihu, China, during late summer. Harmful Algae. 2017, 65: 71-84.
7. Gao, H., Tong, M. M., Qu, P. P. (2016). Role of organic nutrients originated from Mesodinium rubrum and Teleaulax amphioxeia cultures in the growth and toxin production of Dinophysis acuminata. Marine and Freshwater Harmful Algae. Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Harmful Algae, Wellington, New Zealand 27th-31st October 2014. Cawthron Institute, Nelson, New Zealand and International Society for the Study of Harmful Algae (ISSHA).
8. You, S. P., Gao, H., Lei, X. D., Xiao, Y. P., Gu, H. F., Tong, M. M. (2016). Biodiversity and distribution of dinoflagellate resting cysts in the sediments of Nanji Island, East China Sea [J]. Oceanologia et Limnologia Sinica, 2016,02:460-467. (In Chinese)
9. Qu, P., Yang, J., Xu, Y. X., Gao, H., Tong, M. (2016). Application of SPATT for toxin detection in the mussels along coast of nanji island, east china sea [J]. Oceanologia et Limnologia Sinica, 2016, 04:795-803. (In Chinese)